What can we help you with?
Getting started with PM Benchmark Reading Assessment Resources
It's essential that you understand the PM Benchmark assessment tools before beginning to use the Benchmark RAR in class.
We've created a Procedures guidebook (Teacher's Resource Book) and DVD that steps you through each of the Benchmark tools and supports your reading assessment practice. The Teacher's Resource Book is included as part of your Kit purchase.
About Benchmark RAR
What are the Benchmark Reading Assessment Resources?
Benchmark RAR has been developed to provide schools and teachers with a reliable assessment resource for the first seven years of school (F-6). It's a comprehensive resource that provides support for accurate analysis of students' literacy and depth of understanding.
With Benchmark RAR, teachers can assess students' fluency and phrasing when reading aloud, their retelling strategies and their comprehension of text.
Why we created the PM Benchmark Reading Assessment Resources
The philosophy that underpins Benchmark RAR and related PM resources is that a student should experience success, enjoyment and understanding from their earliest encounters with the printed word. This is only possible when Students are presented with books at the right levels for them. Benchmark RAR seeks to help teachers identify the student’s instructional and independent reading levels.
What are the PM Benchmark RAR subscription options?
The PM Benchmark RAR software subscription (one annual subscription payment for unlimited online access) is designed to be used in conjunction with the PM Benchmark RAR Kit.
Your Kit, which includes the 47 levelled texts and Teacher’s Resource Book, is a one-off purchase that includes everything you need to manage assessments.
Do I need to purchase the hard copy Kit to use the Benchmark RARs?
The digital PM Benchmark RAR Subscription and the physical PM RAR Kits are designed to be used together.
If you choose to purchase the digital Benchmark RAR and not the physical Kit, your access to PM RAR material will be limited to the digital resources and assessment. By purchasing a Kit, your school will have access to the informative Teacher’s Resource Book and DVD, among other tools.
What do the Benchmark RAR Kits include?
- 46 accurately levelled fiction and non-fiction texts
- Texts ranging from reading ages 5-12 years
- Each of the levelled texts is accompanied by a student record sheet that provides assessment criteria including analysis of retelling, reading behaviours, fluency and comprehension
- Teacher’s Resource Book
- A Procedures Card
- Professional Development DVD.
What does the digital Benchmark RAR subscription include?
- Access to the Assessment software
- Access to the Assessment software
- Links to the digital PM eReaders for Assessment
- A digital version of the Reading Record Assessment and Summary
- Analysis of reading behaviours
- Analysis of retelling strategies
- Analysis of comprehension
- Access to Reporting and Graph features
- A database of student reading assessment results and details.
I’m having trouble navigating the PM Benchmark RAR software
If it’s your first time using the PM Benchmark RAR tools, we recommend referring to your Teacher’s Resource Book, which is included in the PM Benchmark RAR Kit.
There’s also some video content that walks you through common Benchmark RAR tasks. Find these videos by selecting the Help item on the top menu of your PM Benchmark RAR dashboard.
Assessments & reports
How do I view past assessments and reading history?
From the PM Benchmark RAR dashboard, you’ll see a list of recently completed assessments. To view the assessment details as well as the results and reading record, click to open the assessment you want to view.
Alternatively, for an individual Student view, select Student from the left side menu of the Benchmark RAR dashboard. You’ll then see a list of students. Click on the student name to view their details and their assessment histories.
How to print out Reading Records?
Once a student completes a Reading Record, view the Summary on the final tab. From here, select the Print option from the left side menu. Your Record will open as a PDF view that you can then print.
How can I access Reports?
This is a feature of the Benchmark RAR software.
1. Go to the Groups tab (left menu)
2. Find the group, then select Reports
3. Then customise the group progress report by choosing one or more levels, student ages or gender(s)
4. Select View Report and open as a spreadsheet.
To create a custom graph:
1. Select Reports, then Custom Graphs
2. Customise by reading level, self-correction ratio and accuracy
3. Then customise by student ages and gender(s)
4. Click View Graph and the graph view will display.
You can also view the full details of individual past assessments:
1. Open the completed Assessment (find it in Assessments from the RAR dashboard)
2. Select the Reading Record tab
3. View the Summary on screen or Print the summary and reading record by selecting Print from the left side menu.
What are the Reading Record abbreviations in the assessment key?
E = error
IW = inserted word
R = repeated word
A = asked
TTA = try that again
T = told
RS = repeated section
SC = self-correction