We will look at the writing demands of a range of Victorian Curriculum texts and how to explicitly teach students to structure their writing appropriately, using their understanding of text structure, vocabulary and grammatical features. We will also examine the success of the use of formative strategies for monitoring students’ writing.
This comprehensive full-day workshop will focus on:
- understanding the literacy needs of a balanced writer and the links to reading
- examining the writing demands of a range of texts, including structure, purpose, grammar, vocabulary and other language features
- explicitly teaching students how to structure their writing for specific types of text
- best practice for constructing text orally
- formative assessment and benchmarking of writing to support the next steps for writing success
- modelled writing and scaffolding of the Narrative and Persuasive texts to support NAPLAN